Re: Breaking a Wheel Stud

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2000 - 17:18:59 EST

> I was being a good dooby and having my tires rotated when the manager
>came out
> and told me a wheel stud had broken off the rear wheel... As strange as
this
> may sound, I've never had this happen to me before. Is this common?
> Tom

I have heard of breaking wheel studs yes. I have never experienced it
myself. I would say it is fairly hard to do though, as many wheel studs are
rated with an extremely high PSI rating. Also, it is not like your truck Tom
is 25 years old with 300,000 miles on it. I bet they messed it up, possibly
cross threaded it when putting your lugs nuts back on with their impact gun.
Did they make you pay for a new one? What happened with it? Did you ask to
see/have the broken stud when/if they put a new one back on?? Good Luck!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6