Re: Re: Breaking a Wheel Stud

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Thu Jan 06 2000 - 18:21:55 EST

It's funny you mention the cross threading 'cause when I asked the manager how
it got broken he started talking about how they can fatigue with time, etc.,
etc., etc. When I pointed out it was a pretty new truck ('98) he changed his
tune and started talking about how it was possible the nut could have been
cross threaded the last time they were put on. He's gonna replace it with a
MOPAR stud (I guess our studs are unique?) and he's only gonna charge me for
the part (maybe $2 ?)... I didn't even think to ask for the old one back
--should've though. Kinda sucks 'cause this guy is walking distance from where
I work and once he replaces the stud I won't be taking my truck back to them
again (one of those fool me once sort of things).

Is there anyway I can check the rest of the studs to see if they messed up any
others? I was planning on loosening all the lug nuts and torqueing them down
again, is that good enough proof they're OK? I'd hate to loose a freaking
wheel on the highway!
Tom