Re: Exhaust Questions(kinda long)

From: Mike D. (miggitymike@juno.com)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2000 - 22:36:40 EST

hhmmmm...
I would say to check your cat first. give it a good shakin' to see if
anything rattles around in there. Also, check for any botched welds or
defects in some of thepipes or something... dude, I just can't think of
anything.. maybe check the exhaust manifold flanges to the Y-pipe... may
be a leak there.... Mufflers do break in after a while and i changes
their sound characteristics somewhat, but I've never really heard of
anything like that happening.. hmmm...

-mike d.

---> Yorktown, Va.
miggitymike@juno.com
88 6er LE, lowered, modded, and painted =)

http://members.xoom.com/dakotaperf/index.html

On Thu, 06 Jan 2000 18:16:25 -0500 Mike Schwanke <mps01@home.com> writes:
> I have a couple of exhaust questions/problems that maybe you guys
> could
> give some opinions on. First the problem. About 5 months ago I
> replaced the stock muffler with a 50 series Flowmaster and left the
> stock pipe on. Everything was okay for the first month or so, then
> the
> muffler started to get louder and was getting a raspier sound to it,
> almost like a riceburner. It kept getting worse so after 2 1/2
> months I
> took it off and replaced it with the Gibson cat-back. For the first
> month and a half it had a nice deep sound and wasn't loud in the
> cab.
> But, for the last month it has begun to get louder and raspier just
> like
> the Flowmaster did. It is especially bad when the truck hasn't been
> driven for a while. It is also very noticeable inside the cab. Now
> now that the sound will change a little after a while, but I've
> heard
> other Daks around here with Gibsons on and they don't sound like
> this.
> Any ideas why 2 mufflers would do this? Is there something else
> wrong
> (i.e. cat bad or exhaust leak somewhere), or just coincidence? I
> did
> check around the muffler and it isn't leaking there, don't know
> about
> anyway else yet.
>
> Now for the other question. My Dak has the v6 in it. I got the
> Gibson
> before I was on the list and realized that the 3" was too big. My
> question is I have an adapter that goes from 3" to 2.5" pipe. If I
> were
> to put this on the outlet of the muffler and put a 2.5" tailpipe
> back
> on, would this get me the lost performance back, or would the outlet
> on
> the muffler have to be 2.5" as well.
>
> Sorry about the length.
>
> Thanks