Exhaust Questions(kinda long)

From: Mike Schwanke (mps01@home.com)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2000 - 18:16:25 EST

I have a couple of exhaust questions/problems that maybe you guys could
give some opinions on. First the problem. About 5 months ago I
replaced the stock muffler with a 50 series Flowmaster and left the
stock pipe on. Everything was okay for the first month or so, then the
muffler started to get louder and was getting a raspier sound to it,
almost like a riceburner. It kept getting worse so after 2 1/2 months I
took it off and replaced it with the Gibson cat-back. For the first
month and a half it had a nice deep sound and wasn't loud in the cab.
But, for the last month it has begun to get louder and raspier just like
the Flowmaster did. It is especially bad when the truck hasn't been
driven for a while. It is also very noticeable inside the cab. Now I
now that the sound will change a little after a while, but I've heard
other Daks around here with Gibsons on and they don't sound like this.
Any ideas why 2 mufflers would do this? Is there something else wrong
(i.e. cat bad or exhaust leak somewhere), or just coincidence? I did
check around the muffler and it isn't leaking there, don't know about
anyway else yet.

Now for the other question. My Dak has the v6 in it. I got the Gibson
before I was on the list and realized that the 3" was too big. My
question is I have an adapter that goes from 3" to 2.5" pipe. If I were
to put this on the outlet of the muffler and put a 2.5" tailpipe back
on, would this get me the lost performance back, or would the outlet on
the muffler have to be 2.5" as well.

Sorry about the length.

Thanks
Mike