RE: Idling findings!

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Fri Jan 07 2000 - 01:31:49 EST

The PCV Valve will rattle when new. Why?...Because it's not coated with oil
"gunk". If a PCV Valve doesn't rattle, it's time to change (or clean) it.
In the "Old Days", we used to just clean them every now and then with Carb
Cleaner and they worked just fine.

Running without it plugged in could cause one of two things (if not both):

(1) Excessive Pressure in the engine if it is either sealed up or a breather
cap is installed instead. (Hint: PCV stands for Positive Crankcase
Ventilation)
(2) Removing the PCV Valve and leaving the hole open causes a MAJOR vacuum
leak. That's the reason why the engine revs like it did. The computer will
try to adjust and the idle will come back down though...to a point.

People used to think that it was a better to leave it off and replace it
with a breather cap, but they then noticed that they had to replace their
valve cover gasket(s) much more often. Also, the oil steam that the PCV
removes, stays in the engine causing the oil sludge to build up even more.
Another myth is that people think that the PCV Valve is a smog control
device and therefore should be removed. (See the beginning of the paragraph
for that one.)

It's late, i'm rambling, and that's my $0.02 worth. ;)

Good Night John Boy, Good Night Grandpa, Good Night DML.

- Bernd