Re: Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 10:12:03 -0500

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Fri Jan 07 2000 - 17:00:25 EST

At 10:09 AM 1/7/00 -0500, you wrote:
>I was pricing a new '00 r/t through msn's carpoint and noticed they have 3
>options for emissions: northeast, border, and cali. Are vehicles prepared
>differently for the different states?

I would imagine so. I know that my Dakota is CA emission prepared and the
only way that I'm aware of that this can be done is that the computer
retards the timing or/and has a different fuel map.

>I don't have to worry about emissions myself, so I want the least
restrictive possible.
>Could this cause the difference in 1/4 mi. times that seem to be
occurring? (i.e. 318 guys
>claiming 16s 1/4's for cc r/t's, when the bone stock cc r/t's around here
>run 14.9's to 15.2's)

Maybe. I know that I was surprised that my Dakota ran 16.7-16.8 with K&N
dropin
and Gibson cat-bak on all season tires in April. When I put in the '96 MP
PCM,
the first run was a 16.1x and subsequently ran 15.9xs without further mods but
possibly better launching techniques. Shifts, at that time, were done
automatically.

Of course, truck, driver and 3/4 tank weighs in at about 4,375 lb may also
been the reason.

Bob. Southern Ontario, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC Sport, FR, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto.