Re: Rustproofing...again!

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Fri Jan 07 2000 - 16:59:38 EST

At 12:08 PM 1/7/00 -0600, you wrote:
>I posted a question about rustproofing a while back, and since then
>I've heard that the way they do it is by drilling holes in the sheet
>metal/body panels at various locations, then inject the stuff into the
>cavities, and plug the holes afterwards. Is this true?

Yes. Depending on how a vehicle maker designs and puts together a car/truck,
there are always some places that make it difficult to reach and even
some pockets where air, and hence moisture, can get in. Poor design
can also lead to rusting. E.G. the way that front fenders on my '70
Challenger are attached and welded results in a ledge on which water gets
trapped. In order to get the rustproofing material into these spots some
drilling may be needed. Your quality rustproofing places will have diagrams
supplied which identify these spots which are prone to rusting and will
know where and if a hole is needed.

For obvious reasons, when I had my Challenger rust-proofed, I removed
the door panels and the rear panels to minimize the holes that would
have been needed to get to those places. Nevertheless, Krown rust
discovered that they could reach an area which would let moisture in.
They investigated and found that they could drill a hole under the
sill plate and reach it with their spray. So the car has a hole
but not visible unless you remove the sill plate.

>A co-worker of mine said her husband had that done to a truck of
>his, he had to have the body replaced 3 times, because it rusted out where
>the plugs were.

It could happen becauce once you drill and remove the paint sealant or do not
remove the filings, the metal exposed to moisture. I am surprised that their
rustproof material did not prevent this though. I never had this happen to
me in the 14 years that I've been using Krown Rust. That's why annual
resprays are important. If they're doing their job, they would have
picked this up.

>I always thought they just sprayed over the exposed areas underneath
>(and all the little nooks and crannys that water and salt could accumulate)
>and that would take care of it. Comments? Thoughts?

Some places offer only undercarriage rustproofing. Krown Rust sprays
the engine compartment, undercarriage, inside the tailgate, the bed
and the inner body chambers.

Having been on the list for a while, I should say that I am not connected
in any way with Krown Rust. I just happen to use and be more than satisfied
with them. There are others (at least in Ontario) that do the same thing.
If there is anything that I am advocating, it's to find a reputable company
with an annual spray program and get your truck rustproofed ... that's if
you plan on keeping it a long time.

My increasing-valued, Canadian $0.02.

Bob. Southern Ontario, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC Sport, FR, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto.