RE: Re: Re: Fluctuating guages (long)

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Tue Jan 11 2000 - 23:14:39 EST

Here's from past experiences with Honda, Mazda, Nissan, Ford, Chevy, and
Dodge:

At an extended idle, the temperature will go up slightly (maybe 10-15
degrees at most) but shouldn't overheat the engine. Once the vehicle is
moving again, the temperature will drop due to the added airflow (cooling
effect). I've seen this on a lot of different makes and models (including
my truck - before & after the electric fan conversion) and wouldn't worry
about it too much. That's IF the temperature is only going up slightly...if
it's overheating, then there's something wrong.

You mentioned "flushed"...was this with an "over the counter" Radiator Flush
or an actual core cleaning? Also, did you change the radiator cap? If you
have access to a Leak-Down Tester...this may tell if there's an internal
problem. If not, most shops will do this for a very minimal charge...and it
tells if there's very small leaks in the head gaskets as well.

Hope this gives you some other ideas on what to check.

Regards,

- Bernd