98 4x4 Front End Clunk - long, but please help if you can

From: ekammerer@pmc-mail.com
Date: Wed Jan 12 2000 - 09:24:14 EST

I tried to post this yesterday, but since I'm new to the list, I think I
screwed it up. I'll give it another shot

I have a clunk in the front end of my 98 CC SLT V8 4x4, and it is making me
crazy. Seems like when I am turning left or right and hit rough pavement
(or off-road) I get a clunk I can barely hear but I can feel it in the
driver's side floorboard. It's worst in warm (greater than 45 F or so) and
in a sweeping turn about 25 mph on uneven pavement (here in Pennsylvania,
that's about 75% of the roads).

It is different from the clunk felt in the column (i had the steering
coupler replaced under the TSB and that helped the column problem), and
I've check the balljoints and they seem ok. The dealer's top tech has had
it up on the rack six or so times, and can't find it. The DC Zone tech
dismissed it as "normal suspension noise", but it was cold the day I drove
him around and it wasn't doing it as bad (plus I drive a lot more
cautiously when I have people in the truck...I did try to make the DC
district manager sick while he was in the backseat, but that's another
story).

I've seen DMLers talking about front end clunks and fixes, like tie rods
ends, lower control arms, the steering coupler, etc., but I can't tell if
we're talking 4x2 or 4x4.

Is anyone else with a 97 or 98 4x4 having or had this kind of clunk? If
so, what have y'all done to fix it. My tech at the dealer is willing to
keep throwing parts at it, but I need to give him some ideas of where to
go.

If this noise is "normal" for this truck, like DC says, my first Dodge will
be my last. I have travelled all over the US for work, and I have abused
lots of different 4x4s on all kinds of terrain (wheelin' in Death Valley
was the best), and nothing clunks the way my Dak does at 24,000 miles.

help!