Re: Re[2]:Re: LSD

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Wed Jan 12 2000 - 11:15:07 EST

Sorry if this is has already been posted before. I discovered
that my email service was down around 8 a.m. I'm just starting to
get emails around 10:30 am. Probably lost a lot and those that I sent
didn't get through.

At 03:21 PM 1/11/00 -0500, you wrote:
> <snip> When I got the truck I had no trouble spinning the tires when wet.

Yup, me too. The stock tires aren't really bad all-seasons ... just not
suited to the torqueyness that our trucks put out at low rpms and the
lightness of the rear of a pickup.

>In fact I could hardly keep the rear in line at all. I put 350 pounds in the
>rear and have not had as much trouble.

Right ... enough weight on the rear to increase rear traction at both wheels
and overcome the wetness.

>I live in Indy. We have had a little snow (1 or 2 in). I had a bunch of
trouble
>starting (with the 350 lbs). No matter how much feathering or slow
throttle. And
>I could see there was only one tire gripping, and the other was just
slipping.

Alright ... uneven amount of slipperyness on the road to cause the open diff.
symptoms.

>My idea of the LSD (Trac Loc) is that the two wheels can still rotate at
>different rates but it is limited (to prevent the one spinning tire). <snip>

Okay ... that's what LSD will do. Depending on the throttle pressure applied,
with open diff. one wheel (on the slippery part) will spin while other will
not until spinning wheel gets some traction ... with LSD, both will spin
...thus forward movement...but wheel on slippery part will not move
truck as far forward as other wheel and thus fish-tailing results. Depending
on how the truck responds to throttle response and how the driver can control
throttle usage will determine severity of the fish-tailing.

Whatever the case, either scenarios is the result uneven traction at the rear
wheels. That's why I suggested improving the traction first with a good and
appropriate set of winter tires.
Bob. Southern Ontario, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC Sport, FR, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto.