Re: Auxil. Air Tank

From: J McKinney (bigmopar4x4@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jan 12 2000 - 17:30:46 EST

Kyle, Ive been working on my own and have come up with
these choices:

Portable tanks- Must be high pressure, the tanks at Sears,
won't even fill one 33" tire depending on how much it's
been aired down. I have an SCBA (like firefighters use)
air tank which can be pressurized to over 2,200 PSI. Not
totally sure but that should be plenty to do several set's
of tires. The guy I go wheeling with is a firefighter, so
I can fill it on their cascade system. I have also heard
of guys "leasing" CO2 tanks from welding shops. These are
also high pressure and one guy claims he can air up 60-70
tires on one fill. These tanks are not that large either.
A welding shop will fill these for very cheap ($10-12).

On board air compressor- High CFM compressors are big bucks
so they're out. I know you wanted cheap, so the only other
option I can think of is to buy a cheap compressor and link
to the Sears style tanks as a storage tank.

--- Kyle Kozubal <grndak4x4@home.com> wrote:
> In my search for some type of small portable air tank, I
> think I may have an
> idea. I have read several articles on converting propane
> tanks(short round
> ones for gas grills) into portable air tanks, but I
> really dont care for
> this nor the size of the propane tank. I also dont like
> the size of the ones
> from Wal-Mart or Sears. I have a great air guage, from
> K&D(http://www.slickrockairgauge.com/), but I need
> sometype of CHEAP air
> storage tank to air my tires back up when done 4wheeling.
> I hope this doesnt
> sound too crazy, but here it goes: What about portable
> oxygen cylinders,
> like the ones people use who have respiratory problems?
> The one I have in
> mind is 16H"x4W", nice compact size. However, does anyone
> know if the 15.6cu
> ft. capacity would be enough to air all 4 tires back up
> to safe highway
> driving PSI?? The tanks are $35, not bad at all. Another
> question is, since
> this is an oxygen tank, I should be able to convert it
> over to hold/store
> air, shouldnt I? Or could I just hook up some type of
> valve to fill it up
> and go to a gas station and fill it up?? I was thinking I
> could hook up a
> pressure guage dial, fab up some brackets to mount the
> tank, hook up some
> quick disconnects, etc. Any thoughts?? Any other ideas on
> what I could use
> if this doesnt work??
> Kyle
> 93 Dakota 4x4 V6

=====
John McKinney
Los Banos, CA
1998 Dakota 4x4 5in lift/locked 33" Swampers
1974 Ramcharger 4in lift/locked 33" BFG MT's