Auxil. Air Tank

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Wed Jan 12 2000 - 15:32:24 EST

In my search for some type of small portable air tank, I think I may have an
idea. I have read several articles on converting propane tanks(short round
ones for gas grills) into portable air tanks, but I really dont care for
this nor the size of the propane tank. I also dont like the size of the ones
from Wal-Mart or Sears. I have a great air guage, from
K&D(http://www.slickrockairgauge.com/), but I need sometype of CHEAP air
storage tank to air my tires back up when done 4wheeling. I hope this doesnt
sound too crazy, but here it goes: What about portable oxygen cylinders,
like the ones people use who have respiratory problems? The one I have in
mind is 16H"x4W", nice compact size. However, does anyone know if the 15.6cu
ft. capacity would be enough to air all 4 tires back up to safe highway
driving PSI?? The tanks are $35, not bad at all. Another question is, since
this is an oxygen tank, I should be able to convert it over to hold/store
air, shouldnt I? Or could I just hook up some type of valve to fill it up
and go to a gas station and fill it up?? I was thinking I could hook up a
pressure guage dial, fab up some brackets to mount the tank, hook up some
quick disconnects, etc. Any thoughts?? Any other ideas on what I could use
if this doesnt work??
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6