RE: Rough Idle?

From: Dave Scelfo (macncheesemonster@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Jan 13 2000 - 13:06:13 EST

>So the basic requirements of Higher octane Fuel are any of these or a
>combination of:
>
>(1) High Compression Engines (10:1 and higher)
>(2) Advanced Timing (Manual or Electronically advanced - ie; Chip)
>(3) Pinging (Could also use higher grade gas to temporarily fix but not as
>a permanent fix)
>(4) Super/Turbo Charged Engines
>(5) Nitrous Injected Engines
>
>Sounds like High Octane Fuel is still ok to run with then. Just depends on
>the application.
>
>- Bernd

     Yep. Pretty much. If you have spark knock, you need higher octane.
Any of the above mentioned modifications would result in knock if you used
87 octane. I think we're on the same page Bernd, but I'm not sure if we're
arguing or reassuring each other ;)
     For anyone whose lost, knock, pinging, detonation, whatever you want to
call it, is the result of the intake charge (air fuel mixture) igniting
before its supposed to. This can happen because: