Pinging Problem partially solved

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Sat Jan 15 2000 - 15:09:47 EST

We used Erich Hanhart's '98 5.2L/5spd for this test (Stock except for 180
degree T'Stat):

After about 10 minutes on the Kal/OBD-II scanner, here's the results of his
pinging problem...

At idle: Timing is at 3.5 - 5 degrees BTDC
At part throttle (under 2000rpm): Timing is at 26-30 degrees BTDC
At part throttle (above 2200rpm): Timing is at 38-40 degrees BTDC
At WOT: Timing is at 26 - 28 degrees BTDC

What we found was that from a part throttle to WOT "stab", the truck pinged
and only the timing had a delay of about 1 second to change settings (all
other sensors reacted a lot faster), causing the truck to run at WOT and at
40 degrees BTDC. This definitely will cause pinging. If the delay would be
shorter, the timing would have a better chance of adjusting to the WOT
acceleration.

What i'm concerned with is the 40 degrees coming in before 3000rpm. Under a
light load (22% shown on Erich's truck), this would cause pinging without
the use of higher octane fuel.

I wonder if this is what the problem is with the rest of the Dak's. (I had
checked mine and the timing is under 40 degrees BTDC until after
3100rpm...my truck doesn't ping at light throttle and never has.)

Ideas anyone??

Bernd D. Ratsch
Pflugerville, TX
1997 Dodge Dakota SLT/CC - 2WD
http://lonestar.texas.net/~bernd/Dakota.htm
http://www.mopars.net/dak/bernd/
bernd@texas.net
ICQ: 39320084

"Have I gone too far...Or has Toyota not gone far enough!"