Re: DML:BOB TOM:Sea level question

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sat Jan 15 2000 - 16:05:13 EST

Hey, Dave

At 12:39 AM 1/15/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Bob, Hi! A friend of mine who runs consistant 12.9s in his Road Runner
>at Cayuga showed me time slips of 12.5s at St Thomas and 12.3s at
>Detroit.

Detroit. Here I come!!!

>He says it's the sea level difference. As you know these three tracks
>are all in a 200 mile area. Do you have any knowledge of these facts,
>and have you ran St Thomas or Detroit. DAKOTA CONTENT. Would love to
>know what our 14.9 Daks would turn.

Here's what I have been told by a couple of racers. Cayuga has
a reputation for being a fast track but being in the open is subject
to the winds from whatever direction. St. Thomas slopes downward
a little from the tree and has tree protection from the winds
past the stands.

I looked at an old elevation map. Best I could tell is that Cayuga
is about 800' above sea level but experiences a wide variety air pressure.
One time, air pressure was equivalent to about 2,500' above sea level.
St. Thomas is about 1000-1200' above sea level.

>From my personal experience, up until about mid-October, my best 60'
and 1/8-mi. ETs were at the St. Thomas track. Then the last day
at Cayuga, I ran my best 60', 1/8-mi, and 1/4-mi. times.

>Maybe this summer we can cruise together and try all three.

That'll be great. May even venture to the track at Grand Bend.
BTW, kitchen is getting a complete renovation starting Monday so
my Dakota has been declared a hemi-free zone. The owner doing
the renovations is the former owner of both the Cayuga and St. Thomas
tracks. He now runs at Grand Bend (I think that he mentioned 4.9s
last year???). Maybe I'll have the chance to talk to him about
the tracks and get the lowdown.

>From what I see on the DML, Cecil is da place in the States.

Bob. Southern Ontario, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC Sport, FR, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto.