Re: Re: 1.7 v. 1.6 roller rockers --attn: Bob

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sun Jan 16 2000 - 21:53:08 EST

At 06:11 PM 1/16/00 EST, you wrote:
> <snip>
> BUT WHAT NOW !!!!! Ted O.
> 99 SLT + 4X4, Powerdyne SC'er, Leach headers, Gibson stainless catback,
>TransGo shift kit, R&D TB, K&N, Taylor wires, Autolite 3923's, 4.10's front
>and rear, Hoosier Drag slicks, Msd Boost retard ignition, Auto meter Boost
>gauge, Beer cooler...

Wine cooler?

Seriously, if I had your Dakota and your mods and your endless supply
of $$$ (j/k), and the goal was to make it the fastest that you could
for the streets, I would get a chasis dyno first to get an idea of what
your power figures look and where your power band is. Then, you'll have
a pretty good idea of where you need to do the most improvement
(low or mid or high end).

The dyno info. will also be necessary if you ever decide to upgrade the
stock torque converter (auto?) to match your modded engine. Modding out
the stock intake manifold to increase air flow is another possibility.
Customized computer to get the most out your current mods is another
(dyno info. would help here as well). Of course, your truck might send
the sniffer instruments (if that is a consideration) into la la land.

I know some have suggested juice. Myself, if I were to add juice or
even just increase the SC boost, I would start first with bulletproofing
the engines internals (forged crank/pistons/heavy duty valve springs and
pushrods, even roller rockers, etc.) ... expensive route to go.

Of course, you could sell me your modded engine at a nice price in CDN $s
and just put in a crate 360/380hp motor (with the right carb, 400hp right
there).

Bob. Southern Ontario, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC Sport, FR, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto.