Re: Tranny TOO cold????

From: blackdak (blackdak@twcny.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2000 - 20:40:28 EST

In my new 4.7L the tranny never gets hot, in the manual it says to check
when the fluid is hot...and then it goes on to say (4.7 only) that hot is
when you can't hold the fluid on your fingers (I assume dipstick end
between your fingers) I ran mine for around for like 15 min and the fluid
was not even warm (this was weeks ago..temp probably in 50's) then I drove
300 miles (40 F) and checked it and it was just warm and about half way to
the hot line. I thought it may be low but cold reads OK. I noticed this in
our 97 Neon (no trans cooler) also.....even in the summer it was never so
hot you could not hold the dip stick end, not even close.....the 97 Ram (has
trans cooler) did get hot enough to make it to the hot line when towing and
stuff. I am used to Chevy's I guess...man those tranny's get hot! Peel off
the skin hot! Is the new tranny just not making heat or is the cooler doing
a great job? Any body with a 4.7L and Auto check this out?

Gary