Re: 00/4.7 ticking noise

From: Nate Johnson (natedak2k@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jan 19 2000 - 09:26:14 EST

Ahh, someone finally asked! I though I was the only one that heard that
for awhile there! It's normal, but VERY annoying I agree. That's one of
the first things I asked my service manager about. It's some emmissions
device if I remember correctly (I'll find out for sure later when my
dealers service dept. opens). Pop your hood and look on the firewall just
to the right and above the TB. There's a little plastic can looking
thingy hanging there with a inlet hose and an outlet. It's attatched to
the firewall with a bunch of rubber bushings. That's your culprit and
there's nothing you can do about it. (At least that I know of) My
service manager said that if all those rubber bushings weren't there you'd
hear it even louder! Oh well.

>I noticed this also. It is very faint and sounds exactly like a blower
>motor. I did not think it changed with the engine rpm. I passed it off
>as an electronic relay noise or a nuisance noise of some kind.
>
>Thomas Strawderman wrote:
>
>>I have a slight ticking noise that I can hear inside the cab, I thought
>>it may be the blower motor but that was quickly eliminated. It seems to
>>change pitch and frequency as the engine is RPM changes so I am assuming
>>it is in the engine. I have 3500 miles on the truck and I just can’t
>>believe that the valves would be out of whack already. Could something
>>in the auto tranny cause this noise? Any other ideas on what this may
>>be? Anybody else notice this? 00/4.7/Auto. Thanks Tom

=====
Nate, Ogden UT
00 Dakota CC 4X4, LSD, 3.92 Rear, 4.7L/287ci, Po'boy cold air w/ K&N, Forest Green, Extang BlackMax Tonneau
"D2K"