Re: LSD Rear ends (again)

From: J McKinney (bigmopar4x4@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jan 19 2000 - 10:22:47 EST

The guy is right. Nothing has really changed over the
years on this rear end. I have the 9 1/4" in both my 98
Dakota and my 74 Ramcharger. I have Lock-Rights in both
using the same Lock-Right part #. The newer 9 1/4"
sometimes have an "X" stamped on the case where the cover
bolts up. These (at least with the Lock-Rights) required
you to discard a shim that comes with the kit for use on
the couplers (the parts that slip onto the axle splines).
I used the Shim on my '74. This was the only difference I
have found.

> Is the dude at the counter right, all 9.25 inch rears are
> the same
> reguardless of year...(even back in the 70's)? Can any
> body verify the
> Spicer number above? I know the DANA # is OK. They said
> the bearings would
> not come off without ruining them since they are pressed
> on..is this true?
> Anybody know the correct bearing # to use? Is the Auburn
> gear unit really
> worth $150 more? I think the PowerTrax is around $400,
> anybody running this?

=====
John McKinney
Los Banos, CA
1998 Dakota 4x4 5in lift/locked 33" Swampers
1974 Ramcharger 4in lift/locked 33" BFG MT's