LSD Rear ends (again)

From: blackdak (blackdak@twcny.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2000 - 20:25:26 EST

DMLer's,

I looked at a few limited slips rear ends for my 2000 dak (4.7L, AT, 3.55,
9.25 inch diff). The local "Universal Joint" shop had two types available.
The first was a stock replacement DANA/Spicer TracLoc, this is exactly the
same type Dodge uses as OEM. The number that was on the box was Spicer
75102X, they said it fits every Mopar 9.25 rear ever made. Price was
$175.00. The DANA part number I have is 52068450, I know this is a good
number because I called my local dealer and he said it was the right number
and I could have all I wanted for $660.00 each!! The second type was an
Auburn Gear unit that was quite a bit different in construction and was
$325.00.

Questions:

Is the dude at the counter right, all 9.25 inch rears are the same
reguardless of year...(even back in the 70's)? Can any body verify the
Spicer number above? I know the DANA # is OK. They said the bearings would
not come off without ruining them since they are pressed on..is this true?
Anybody know the correct bearing # to use? Is the Auburn gear unit really
worth $150 more? I think the PowerTrax is around $400, anybody running this?
Hey, Rob (SS454454) you ready to get rid of your stock LSD yet? Driving
around with all this ice and snow is starting to get me down....although the
parking lot dounuts are fun!!

Thanks,
Gary