Re:Differential Fluid Differences

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Wed Jan 19 2000 - 16:49:42 EST

As I understand it, oil viscosity is described in terms of weight. 75W-90
simply means the oil is formulated such that it has 75 weight oil properties
when cold and 90 weight properties when hot... The lower the number the thinner
or more fluid the oil is and visa versa. In the examples you gave below, I
can't see any reason not to go with the 75W-90... Your using synthetic so
breakdown isn't much of an issue and having a thinner or more fluid oil at
start-up only means it will get into the nooks and crannies more easily to
lubricate. The only downside I can think of is that it might be more prone to
leaks, but you'll have that covered by putting on a good gasket/seal, right?
;-)

Take this FWIW, Kyle as I'm no chemical engineer nor SAE qualified engineer
either... This is simply my understanding of oil ratings.
Tom