Re: Re:Differential Fluid Differences

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 00:18:48 EST

> As I understand it, oil viscosity is described in terms of weight. 75W-90
> simply means the oil is formulated such that it has 75 weight oil
properties
> when cold and 90 weight properties when hot... The lower the number the
>thinner or more fluid the oil is and visa versa. In the examples you gave
>below, I can't see any reason not to go with the 75W-90... Your using
>synthetic so breakdown isn't much of an issue and having a thinner or more
>fuid oil at start-up only means it will get into the nooks and crannies
more >easily to lubricate. The only downside I can think of is that it
might be more prone to leaks, but you'll have that covered by putting on a
good gasket/seal, right?

Tom,
I have been running Amsoil 75W90 in my diffs for awhile now, with no leaks
at all. I was just curious if this was really 'ok' to do and to continue to
do. Thanks for the input Tom.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6