Re: Re:Differential Fluid Differences

From: Mike Schwall (mschwall@flash.net)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 12:29:15 EST

>I have been running Amsoil 75W90 in my diffs for awhile now, with no leaks
>at all. I was just curious if this was really 'ok' to do and to continue to
>do. Thanks for the input Tom.
>Kyle
>93 Dakota 4x4 V6

They put thick oil in the diff for two reasons, reduce gear noise and
prevent the gear oil from breaking down prematurely under heavy load
conditions. Synthetic oil will always be more fluid than dino juice at the
same weight and temperature. The thinner AMSOIL will run off the gears
much quicker, but the synthetic oil will not break down as easily, and
under cold conditions, it will flow much quicker and get the carrier,
pinion, and axle bearings lubed without having to wait for the oil to warm
some. You may notice more audible gear noise with the synthetic. Now I
could put on my chemistry hat and preach about the molecular difference,
but I'll save the disk space :) I wonder how many eyes rolled on that one :)

Mike

mschwall@flash.net