Synthetic Oil info (was: Synthetic fluid gear noise)

From: Mike Schwall (mschwall@flash.net)
Date: Fri Jan 21 2000 - 00:42:20 EST

At 11:35 PM 1/20/2000 -0600, you wrote:
>can i have a copy/please

Might as well post it too the list.

NEO Synthetic oil ( www.neosyntheticoil.com )
Base: True 100% synthetic diester
Price per quart of 10W-30: $9.90
Technical information page: www.neosyntheticoil.com/10w30.htm - At bottom
of page

Red Line ( www.redlineoil.com )
Base: Polymer (plastic)
Price per quart of 10W-30: $7.99 (average)
Technical information page: No true technical specs (online), but they have
a page about their oil: www.redlineoil.com/engoilti.htm

Torco Racing Lubricants ( www.torcoracingoils.com )
Base: Polymer
Price per quart: $9.20 approx.
Technical information page: Torco created their own site, my old link for
info is no good, I cannot find technical specs on their oil. Might try
looing around their new site.

Mobil 1 ( www.mobil.com )
Base: Synthesized hydrocarbon (synthetic dino juice)
Price per quart: average of $3.99
Technical information page: Mobil has removed their technical spec page for
the Mobil 1 oil, but specs for their grease and gear oil can still be found
on their web site.

AMSOIL ( www.amsoil.com )
Base: unknown
Price per quart: Depends on source. My March '97 catalog lists $5.50
Technical information page (look for "Typical Technical Properties"):
www.amsoil.com

Things to look at are the viscosity index, kinematic viscosity at 100
degrees C, flash point (and pour point for the northern folks).

Mike

mschwall@flash.net