Re: Pinging and Pondering

From: Mike Schwall (mschwall@flash.net)
Date: Fri Jan 21 2000 - 12:43:59 EST

At 09:07 AM 1/21/2000 -0600, you wrote:

>Well, I was pondering around with the Pinging Problem (as well as figuring
>out a way to fill up my beer glass without having to get up) and took a
>close look at the (now removed) plug heat shield. There are traces of
>arcing on the inside bottom, nearest to the hex-part of the
>plug. Hmmmm....Is this from the factory plugs (nasty little buggers), a
>problem that i've missed, a probable cause to the pinging...???
>
>Ideas anyone?
>
>- Bernd

Hard to see how something external could cause the pinging, unless I'm
missing something. To whomever wants to spend the money, go and get some
cheap spark plugs that are two (2) heat ranges COLDER than stock and stick
them in. If your pinging stops, check the plugs after a few hundred miles
for fouling. If their pretty ugly looking go one heat range HOTTER and try
it again. If it pings with the now one step colder plug than stock, try
using anti-seize compound on the threads of the spark plug (if you haven't
done so already).

If it doesn't ping on the one step colder plug than stock, get the plug in
what ever flavor you want, or if the two step colder plug was not fouling
and looked pretty good, get plugs with that heat range.

Mike

mschwall@flash.net