Re: RE: Firestik vs. Radio Shack

From: jimm (jmiller@texnet.net)
Date: Sat Jan 22 2000 - 12:17:01 EST

Let a radio engineer tell you the truth. For the proper results on phased
antennas the exact distance between antennas must be 1/4 wavelength at the
frequency used. 11 meters is approximately 108 inches or 9 feet. I don't
believe any pickup is 9 feet wide but a simi tractor could be. The only example
of properly phased whips I ever saw on a pickup was one on the cab roof and the
other at the rear of the camper topper. That was 9 feet. Also the phasing
harness used with most antennas feeds the antennas in phase so that the
radiation pattern looks like a fat figure 8 with the major lobes to the front
and rear. If the antennas are closer than 9 feet together you will still get
the figure 8 effect but there will be more radiation to the sides. So don't let
people make you think twin whips don't improve your signal to the front and rear
if they are not 9 feet apart. You will get some benefit if they are closer.
Jim in Waco, 99 R/T Ham call WB5OXQ. BS degree in electronic engineering.