Re: Re: RE: Bad Gasmilage... (new)

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sat Jan 22 2000 - 14:50:45 EST

At 11:49 AM 1/22/00 -0500, you wrote:
>It does seem to be taking a lot longer to heat up... I can drive about 2
>miles in city driving before it starts to blow warm air.. (the needle doesnt
>start to move up until about 2 miles either... but after some time it does
>blow plenty of heat.. just takes for ever to get there ...

It does take a little longer with the 180F tstat to blow warm air, especially
when it's this temperature. I had to go out early yesterday morning on
a 15-min. city trip and, although the gauge did reach just a tic below the
195 mark (had switched back to 195 when it was clean air tested 2 weeks ago),
I did not get any heat from the heater ... temp. was -10 to -15 F. Later
in the afternoon ... same trip, I got heat coming out on the way back.
BTW, when I had the 180 tstat in, my gauge at its maximum would go to
the very first line and never above it.

>Sitting still the gauge moves us a little, but as soon as i start moving
>again, she drops back down... Could it be a bad t-stat or just too cold?

That's normal again in this cold temp/wind.

BTW, I wouldn't put too much stock in gas mileage in this type of weather,
except if you were going to compare under similar conditions and not to
the type of mileage that you get in milder conditions (even at 50F).
Gasoline companies, up here, begin mixing in a gasline anti-freeze additive
into their gasline as well.

Bob. Southern Ontario, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC Sport, FR, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto.