Re[2]: Rice Viper

From: Michael Clark (magnumv8@wtez.net)
Date: Sun Jan 23 2000 - 04:29:25 EST

Sunday, January 23, 2000, 1:09:52 AM, you wrote:

> okay, here's something that I don't understand....
> you put headers and a muffler on a V8 and you get a deep throatly sound.
> You put headers and a muffler on a V10 and you get a ricey sound?! I've
> heard the Borla system on a Viper and it didn't sound that ricey, but it
> didn't sound like the Borla on a V8. Much higher pitched. So my question
> is: Why is this? I did the math and figured out that if you choppe doff 2
> cylinders from a Viper V10 you would get a little over 390 cid, which
> would come to something like a 6.4L V8. Now, a 6.4L V8 would sound pretty
> deep and mean... I just don't get it! It SHOULD sound like a dragster
> fixin' to take off....

> -mike d.

--->> Yorktown, Va.
> miggitymike@juno.com
> 88 6er (for now..he hehe) LE, slammed, modded, painted, 17.6 @ 78mph

> http://members.xoom.com/dakotaperf/index.html

> Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
> http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Could it be because you have an odd number of cylinders on each pipe?
 That's what I always figured.... think about it, v6 - odd number of
 cylinders on each side, sounds a bit ricey. v8 - even number of
 cylinders on each side, sounds throaty. v10 - odd number.... Don't
 know if there is any validity to it but that's what I thought.
 Anyone ever hear a v12?

--Mike