Re: Re: Re: Lockup vs. Non-lockup Trannies?

From: blackdak (blackdak@twcny.rr.com)
Date: Sun Jan 23 2000 - 15:05:50 EST

Just like any after market part, you can get it any way you want, I'm sure
that some people don't want or need a lock up torque converter. Most of the
higher than stock stall speed converters are non-lock up I think. It is only
good for milage and does cause a delay as it has to unlock to down shift
etc. Plus many peolpe will say my 1970 so and so didn't have on and it
kicked ass, so I don't need it. I have heard that you minimize losses due to
slippage in the converter, which means better milage as well as cooler
running trans at cruising speed.

Anybody know the downsides of lock up torque converters?

Gary