Re: 4x4 front wheel bearings

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Sun Jan 23 2000 - 14:48:39 EST

> Anyone know how long these are supposed to last, truck is stock has
>140,000mi runs like a champ but the frontend is loose, also a brown goop
is >dripping onto the rims, thought the boots may have split but cant find
any >cracks anyone have a similar experience?

When you say the front end is loose.......have you checked the inner and
outer tie rod ends first to see if they need replacing? How about the upper
and lwoer ball joints for wear? Bad ball joints with have 'slop' or 'play'
when wiggling the tire up and down. Work/Bad tie rods will have 'slop' or
'play' when wiggling the tire side to side. If these are fine, I would move
on a check the idler arm for play as well as the pitman arm. I replaced my
idler arm on my Dakota last year with about 95,000 miles on the part and I
need to also replace my pitman arm now at 117,000 miles. All these front end
components I mentioned will cause the front end to be 'loose', if they are
worn. I would rule these out first before checking the front hubs/wheel
bearings. The bearings dont require periodic service like the front wheel
bearings do on 2WD trucks, but they of course may need replacement. Good
Luck!
Kyle
93 Dkaota 4x4 V6