Re[4]: Re: 4x4 front wheel bearings

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Sun Jan 23 2000 - 18:44:26 EST

<<Tom,
I know what you mean about having to take them out to inspect them. The
bearings are sealed and pressed into the front spindle, just behind the
brake rotors. Are you sure you aren't reading the section which concerns 2WD
Daks? I havent ever looked at a FSM, but does it cover both 2/4WD in
different sections and talk about each seperately?
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6>>

Good point and I'd have to say they kinda differentiate... For instance they
say to lube the upper and lower ball joint on the schedule but they
differentiate between the '98 4x2 (no lube points) and 4x4's by saying, "if
required". On the bearings they just say inspect, so I assume they changed the
design on the 4x2's for the '98's and they are also pressed into the spindle? I
dunno, I guess I'm just gonna' have to rip things off and take a look 'cause
from what I can gather from the FSM it looks like they are saying the bearings
are in the hub where I would expect 'em to be...

Still confused, in Boston. ;-)
Tom