RE: Update on Bilstein Shock Specs

From: Stlaurent Mr Steven (STLAURENTS@mctssa.usmc.mil)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 13:46:51 EST

What about 4x2 SLT CC, front and back?

Steven St.Laurent
Test Engineer
Test Branch, GSD,MCTSSA
MARCORSYSCOM, US Marine Corps
mailto:stlaurents@mctssa.usmc.mil (work)
mailto:Saint1958@home.com (home)
Office: (760) 725-2296

-----Original Message-----
From: Kyle Kozubal [mailto:grndak4x4@home.com]
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2000 9:42 AM
To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net
Subject: DML: Update on Bilstein Shock Specs

I called the San Diego headquarters for Bilstein this morning and was given
this information. This technical info and specifications is for the shocks
for the 93 Dakota 4x4 only:

Front Shock PN#B36-2176
Rear Shock PN#B46-2177

Front Bilstein Shock Extended Length: 369MM=14 9/16"
Front Bilstein Shock Collapsed Length: 240MM=9 1/2"
Rear Bilstein Shock Extended Length: 659MM=25 15/16"
Rear Bilstein Shock Collapsed Length: 404MM=15 15/16"
Total Front Bilstein Shock Travel: 5 1/16"
Total Rear Bilistein Shock Travel: 10"

Based on the info and research I did:
http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/WWW/DAKOTA/ARCHIVES/9912/3422.html

It appears these Bilsteins may not be the best choice for the front as far
as shock travel is concerned, as it only beat out the inexpensive shocks
offered by Superlift. As far as the rear shocks are concerned, it appears to
come in a very close 2nd place, right behind the TrailMaster SSV shocks with
10.03" of total rear shock travel. True I have only taken shock measurements
and travel into account here, not true ride performance, but I like to have
my cake and eat it too. Please correct me if any of the math I have done is
incorrect. Also, please let me know about your experiences with Bilstein. I
am looking for a good off-road shock which will also perform good on the
road. The choice is down to between the Bilstein's shocks and TrailMaster's
SSV shocks.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6....with shot Rancho RS5000's......