RE: RE: RE: Really Fast Lightning

From: Stlaurent Mr Steven (STLAURENTS@mctssa.usmc.mil)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 16:20:05 EST

I am sorry for not being more explicit. Like Porsche, going 0-60 is not the
total objective in life. But the 1/4 mile run, oval track, 0-100 time,
braking etc... Unlike the Honda's, Toyota or other rice rockets, with no
available torque off-the-line, they resort back to the racing gears size
(4:10, 4:32, 4:40 etc) and high revving engines and show that I can flash to
60 under 7 seconds. But reality is that they cannot corner, 1/4 mile with
the opponent sharing the same spec for rear and Tranny gears, and so-forth.
I have watched and even Roush Performance put forth money to any with a
stock Saleen versus the Roush on a oval track. Every time the Saleen is
beaten. Grant you! The Saleen S351 is HP out to 485HP now, but the
suspension suffers. Beaten by a 70HP less car. Shame. Same as the Camaro,
fast in the take off but considering the factor weight of F-150 it will
catch it in the end and especially the corners.
Steven St.Laurent
Test Engineer
Test Branch, GSD,MCTSSA
MARCORSYSCOM, US Marine Corps