RE: RE: Really Fast Lightning

From: Stlaurent Mr Steven (STLAURENTS@mctssa.usmc.mil)
Date: Wed Jan 26 2000 - 11:19:11 EST

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Lambert [mailto:clam9892@postoffice.uri.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2000 9:20 AM
To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net
Subject: Re: DML: RE: Really Fast Lightning

>In addition to the supercharger you would need money for leather interior

This in my opinion should be optional, not standard. prob. knocks a grand
off teh price right there.
[stlaurents] Those leather will not only hold there but raised the value of
any vehicle. I choose leather over cloth any day. Beside, power leather
adjusted seats is the norm for Lightning.

>, 4 wheel disk, upgrade for 17" to 18" wheels and tires,

I can see teh 4 wheel disks being standard, so you gotta add these,
probably what another grand to do yourself. The 17" to 18" upgrade I think
is superficial, I could see if the R/T had 15" but not worth it to go from
17"'s to 18"s IMHO. Remember the extra cost of burning up 18" meats as
opposed to 17" meats. but lets assume a set of whells cost $1500 for 18's,
$2k with meats.
[stlaurents] Unless you have driven a 18x9 or 10" rim with the tire to
match, corner is the best I have ever seen. My Stang against your truck on
this one road in which I love to race (nice and winding). The Stang has the
18x9 (295x35x18ZR tires) and will see if the extra money doesn't pay for
itself. Any tire will wear out if you are running hard, burn outs, etc.
Tires: 190-325 per tire (depending on the manufacture), RIMS: 999.00 for
four or up to 4K (depending if the chrome out and one of a kind).

>money for engine repairs that will no longer be covered on warranty and
finally money to
>recover the lost resale value. A Lightning will always have a hgher resale
>value, look at the prices being paid for the '93 - 95 Lightnings.

As for the resale value, who cares. Almost anyone that puts in that much
to make a truck exactly what they want are gonna keep it for a while, and
for teh engine repairs just make sure you don't run too much boost. I
would say keep it to like 5lbs or so to be very sure. Look at the
supercharged 4.7, it makes 330hp and 400+ lbft of torque, totally
streetable. With a few traction mods this thing would rock. For the
suspension I belive it is hotchkis (sp?) that offers a frame stiffening kit
for the dak. So all in all price could be prob 5k less for the r/t and
remember this too it wouldn't be a ford. How about that for resale value.
[stlaurents] R/T CC selling price is around 25K and with 5K upgrades would
place it in the same neighborhood as the Lightning. Better suspension, rims,
leather, facial wear, I think the Lightning will have a higher resell value.
I would have either DC correct the R/T for a true Road and track vehicle or
have either Stillen, Roush, or Saleen take my truck and I would pay out the
extra 5-7K for Road racing hot truck.

Ok I've said my peace,
Chris