Re: torque converters....

From: WillTier@aol.com
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 20:53:17 EST

In a message dated 1/23/00 9:24:50 PM Eastern Standard Time, bernd@texas.net
writes:

> does a stall really effect driveability that much? I mean, if I'm goin to
> have to make a compromise like not drive it in the rain, or have to take
> off at 2000 rpms at every stop light, then I don't think a stall is where
> I'm comin' from...
>
> this is startin' to suck =(

I have a pro torque converter stall is supposed to be 2500- 2800 rpm. I see
no drivability problems at all. Takes off just like before. Maybe towing on
highway would be a problem ? as the TC supposedly doesn't fully engage til
after the stall speed so say 2400 stall and cruising at 70 on my truck with
3.90 gears it only turns about 2250 or 2300 rpm so TC may not be fully in use
so hauling you could maybe find some slippage ?? I supposed you could lock
out OD when towing (recommended anyway) which would raise the rpm enough to
satisfy the TC. I do not drive mine a lot but have not found any adverse
situations with it.

Bill