Re: Update on Bilstein Shock Specs

From: mike d. (miggitymike@juno.com)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 22:54:49 EST

I would think that the bilsteins will be a better road shock. They make
the best handling shock in the world....

-mike d.

---> Yorktown, Va.
miggitymike@juno.com
88 6er (for now..he hehe) LE, slammed, modded, painted, 17.6 @ 78mph

http://members.xoom.com/dakotaperf/index.html

On Mon, 24 Jan 2000 11:41:52 -0600 "Kyle Kozubal" <grndak4x4@home.com>
writes:
> I called the San Diego headquarters for Bilstein this morning and was
> given
> this information. This technical info and specifications is for the
> shocks
> for the 93 Dakota 4x4 only:
>
> Front Shock PN#B36-2176
> Rear Shock PN#B46-2177
>
> Front Bilstein Shock Extended Length: 369MM=14 9/16"
> Front Bilstein Shock Collapsed Length: 240MM=9 1/2"
> Rear Bilstein Shock Extended Length: 659MM=25 15/16"
> Rear Bilstein Shock Collapsed Length: 404MM=15 15/16"
> Total Front Bilstein Shock Travel: 5 1/16"
> Total Rear Bilistein Shock Travel: 10"
>
> Based on the info and research I did:
> http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/WWW/DAKOTA/ARCHIVES/9912/3422.html
>
> It appears these Bilsteins may not be the best choice for the front
> as far
> as shock travel is concerned, as it only beat out the inexpensive
> shocks
> offered by Superlift. As far as the rear shocks are concerned, it
> appears to
> come in a very close 2nd place, right behind the TrailMaster SSV
> shocks with
> 10.03" of total rear shock travel. True I have only taken shock
> measurements
> and travel into account here, not true ride performance, but I like
> to have
> my cake and eat it too. Please correct me if any of the math I have
> done is
> incorrect. Also, please let me know about your experiences with
> Bilstein. I
> am looking for a good off-road shock which will also perform good on
> the
> road. The choice is down to between the Bilstein's shocks and
> TrailMaster's
> SSV shocks.
> Kyle
> 93 Dakota 4x4 V6....with shot Rancho RS5000's......

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.