Re: Re: Re: Ping Report - Updated

From: Mike Schwall (mschwall@flash.net)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 23:48:15 EST

At 11:09 PM 1/24/2000 -0500, you wrote:

> > That's a good point. The EGR recirculates the exhaust gas back into the
> > combustion chambers which cools the mixture, reducing chamber
> temperatures,
> > which reduces preignition But I feel the problem is elsewhere. You can
> > get by without an EGR. The computer just has to be setup differently to
> > compensate for loss of the EGR. They apparently didn't;t get the bugs out
> > quick enough.
>
>Actually its the other way around. The EGR gasses actually make the
>incoming fuel mixture hotter. Exhaust gas temps are around 1200 degrees F,
>and the outside air is MUCH cooler than that...
>
>Clay

Exhaust contains carbon dioxide and inert gases. Those gases cool the
combustion process thus reducing chamber temperatures and in the process
reduces the chance of preignition. Exhaust temperature has nothing to do
with it, it's the affect the gases in the exhaust have in the combustion
chamber.

Read all about it: http://www.motorage.com/edindex/129614.htm - ABCs of EGR

Mike

mschwall@flash.net