Re: Re: 4" TM lift (OWNER's P.O.V.)

From: Killerdak@aol.com
Date: Tue Jan 25 2000 - 00:52:29 EST

In a message dated 1/24/00 12:03:58 PM, grndak4x4@home.com writes:

<< > Didn't somebody just recently put a TM 4" suspension lift on there genII?

> I'm about to finally start mine and i'm wondering whether it wouldn't be

> better to just have it installed. It looks like a LOT of effing work.

Jay,

David Kilian(killerdak@aol.com) recently, about 2 months ago, put the TM 4"

lift on his 96 Dak as well as a body lift. I havent seen him making

just out 4wheelin all the time or is working doubles to help pay for it all,

haha. Either way it did look awesome with the 33's under his Dak. There are

2-3 pics on his DML profile page. I think he also had to do some minor wheel

well trimming to help clear those 33's. If you or anyone finds him or hears

from him, tell him to get his butt back on the DML to post some pics of the

beast and his overall impressions of the lift now that he has had it on

awhile!!

Kyle

93 Dakota 4x4 V6 >>

yeah,yeah yeah! I'm Here! Sorry I haven't been posting much lately, this is a
really busy time of year for me with work and as such I can't check the DML
as often as usual, maybe once a week or less...DOH!
YES... PAY A PRO TO DO IT FOR YOU, unless you have access to tons of tools, a
machine shop and a skilled mechanic/engineer friend as I did. In short, the
TM kit has a LOT of inconsistencies with fit and we had to
retool/grind/drill/cut/bend/force/wedge/hit really really hard/swear alot to
make the thing fit together, and took a solid 3-day weekend and four long
weeknights to do the whole shebang. Pain in the ass!
I also did a 2" Body lift (performance accessories) which helped me clear
33's although trimming the back of the front wheel wells was necessary.
Ride is a lot stiffer than before, very jarring on rough roads. Cornering is
better than expected, surprisingly not much different feel than stock height,
and I like to corner hard! (could be to the fact that footprint is wider now
with wider tires and a little more offset with new wheels??) Very solid feel
to it. Overall, my truck is lacking in power somewhat since I still have 3.55
diffs, will have to get new 3.90 ring and pinions in the future sometime. A
strong headwind and I have to downshift to 4th gear.
UNFORTUNATELY I have not had the pleasure of testing offroad yet (not
counting muddy trails) as I need to do some more fender trimming (haven't had
time yet with work and all) to allow articulation. The front fender still has
sharp sheet metal edges from where it was trimmed, and I need to figure out
another 4x4 that has similar but wider fender flares that might fit to it,
and the back needs to be trimmed and flared as well...I already ruined one
33" tire the first night I had my truck lifted, the torsion bars settled
after the first test drive and the right tire dug into the a front fender
when turning onto a slight hill and got torn up. DOH!
the torsion bars have since been re-adjusted but until I get that sharp edge
covered, I'm playing it safe! Hopefully I can get this project figured out
soon, I wanna go wheeling!!!!

I just saw the solid front-axle daks that Walt Felix posted lnks to...DAMN!
Now I know what I need next!!!

I haven't had any decent pictures taken yet but will hopefully soon and will
add them to my profile page for y'all!

btw, I ordered the front skid plate for the TM lift from Summit, back in
November and it has YET to ship! (probably can't talk TM into making any more)

Dave Kilian -- Clayton, NC
'96 Dakota CC Sport 4x4 3.9L 5-spd
4" TM susp. lift, 2" Body lift, 33" BFG MT's etc...