Re: More head gasket questions.

From: RAS002@worldnet.att.net
Date: Tue Jan 25 2000 - 07:36:47 EST

On Mon, 24 Jan 2000 11:13:59 -0500 (EST), you wrote:

>OK, I got the truck back together last night, but I haven't started it yet.
>Any last-second preparations I should make before firing her up?? I'm really
>nervous about blowing another head gasket. I pulled the old ones off, cleaned
>off all the material, then I sanded them down using 150 grit sandpaper, then
>220 to get it smooth and clean. I used paint thinner to clean off any residue
>and reassembled using the permatex copper sealant someone on the list had
>recommended to me. I torqued down the heads to 50lbs first step, then 105lbs
>second step. Waited 24 hours, then retorqued them again to 105lbs. I put oil
>on the bolt heads, to get a more accurate reading. I used permatex HPF on the
>intake manifold-to-head gaskets, and black rtv on the cork gaskets.
>Everything else I installed dry. All you guys that have done this type of
>work before, do I sound like I did okay?? Any other things I should do after
>I fire it up?? Anything after I fire it up?? It's really cold outside and I
>spend a rediculous amount of time performing this job, and I want this to be
>the last time I ever do it.
>
>- -Austin
>Vipertruck

I'm relatively new to Dodges, but every motor I've ever built before has
required the use of thread sealant on the head bolts, not oil. Here's
hoping you won't have a leaker!

        Russ Selkirk

--
'98 Amethyst Dakota RC R/T    '96 Black Impala SS
'87 Buick Grand National      '85 Silver Monte SS

- Port Neches,Texas ================================================= NOTE: Anti-Spam Address! Please reply to: RAS002@worldnet.att.net =================================================