Re: Update on Bilstein Shock Specs

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Tue Jan 25 2000 - 18:16:12 EST

> > That was the question I had. I see that on Bilstein's web page they say
> > their shocks are run on race cars and such but would this shock be good
in
> > an on or off road application or will it be too stiff. I need shocks
> > desperately but I don't especially need good road handling shocks
because
>> I don't race (much) or corner fast.
>
> Chris,
> I believe Bilstein shocks are well respected in the 4WD industry just as
> much as they are with the racing/on-road world. Bilstein shocks are fairly
> large and widely used withih the off-road/desert racing series
> internationally. They do come from the factory on many off-road packages
> offered by GMC/Chevy; S10 ZR2 and Full size Chevy1500/2500 with the >Z71
Off-Road Package just to name a few. Same with me, I dont race or >corner
fast, I am just looking for a good road shock with rather good offroad
> handling capabilities.

Also, Bilstein offers shocks for Chevy 4WD Suburbans, Land Rover
D-90's(4WD), Dodge Ram 4WD, Jeeps of all kinds, and the list of off-road
'capable' trucks and SUVs goes on and on.....The statement I really liked
from their website is : "Bilstein shocks operate at 98% efficiency for over
100,000 miles and have proven to outlast conventional shocks four-to-one.
Bilstein truck shocks are some of most widely used shocks for handling and
control. Whether you are looking for better control at highway speeds, or
some off-road driving on the weekends, Bilsteins are tough enough to take on
the job. Their monotube design eliminates any aeration, and keeps the tires,
from a 13 inch to a 16.5, glued to the road. They are recognized around the
world, from the Sahara to South America, as some of the best shocks for a
harsh enviroment, because of their ruggedness and performance." They also
stated this on their site: "Used in Nascar Super Trucks , Used in SCORE and
PRO-TRUCK Competition Trucks." I know my Rancho RS5000's are shot after
being on my Dak for only 3 years. Autozone is the cheapest by far for
Bilstein shocks, at $49.99 per shock. I will probable order the front this
week and the rears next month, since I dont have $200 to spend right now on
them. Once I get all 4 shocks, and it is warmer out!!!, I will put them on.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6
Kyle