Hello Again

From: Bill Countie (wgcount@fas.harvard.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 27 2000 - 17:07:32 EST

 Hello DML'ers,
        I am one of the original DML from way back when Jon started this
great list. I have had various things pulling this and that and have had
to leave for a while. For those inquiring minds I drive a '94 Dakota Sport
SWB 5.2l 5 speed. I have the R/T package except the cam which I threaten
to install every spring but haven't gotten around to it. I now have 77,500
miles on it so let the games begin. I'm keeping this one for as long as I
can. On my odd travels I was given an '86 Daytona Turbo Z C/S that needed
a whole lot of stuff that I them proceeded to install and put the red T-top
car back to a shade of it's former glory. I think I did a fair job of it
even though it must be a hoot for passers by to see me get in and out of
it. Now you'll be asking why I mentioned this car to you folks on a truck
list. Rightly so. I was then given a 1987 Dakota "S" SWB 2.2l 5 speed
(toasted engine) by one of my Shelby buddies. I think I'll put my new '87
together with a 1990 intercooled 2.5l turbo. My thoughts wander a bit and
I began asking who had done this before to my friends, no one knew anyone
who had. Sure, the LA motors went in when the 4 bangers got pulled. So
that is where I am now, gathering parts, modifying parts, wrenching and
having a cool time. I figure the Shelby folks don't want to hear about the
'87 Dakota unless it is one of those beautiful trucks with the Shelby
stickers, the FWD folk think I'm crazy- "Look how heavy it'll be with that
motor...what a pig", It isn't an EEK, it isn't a late '70's and before
Mopar, and it isn't what a sane man would do. OK, I may be pushed a little
off my plinth but I Like my '94 Dakota and I want something different too.
If I can do this mod, I know I'll really like this one too. If not, I drop
in a 360/auto and have a good time with it.
        Now I have to find some steel 15" wheels for the '87, back to the
junk yard.
Cheers,
Bill Countie

Bill Countie