Re: Skinny Tires

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Fri Jan 28 2000 - 14:55:00 EST

At 01:56 PM 1/28/00 EST, you wrote:
>I was wondering if anyone could tell me how much wider tires I can put on my
>Dak without it rubbing....I have a 98 regular cab Dakota Sport with those 5
>spoke sport factory rims, 15x6 I think.

Those 5-spokes are 15x7. Mine came with them new.

>They still have the factory 215/75/15 ....I looked under the truck and there
>doesnt seem to be very much clearance when the wheel is turned all the way
in either direction. I realize that putting some new rims would solve this
>problem but that will have to wait. I'm thinking about 235/75/15 or
235/70/15.
>If anyone can tell me if those will rub or if I can fit wider I would
appreciate
>it greatly....Thanks Alan

The 235/70s come on the dual-5 spoke version rims (15x8s) which have a
different
backspacing than the 5-spokes to give clearance on the front and to accomodate
the wider tires. I would think that the 235/70s on 15x7 rims would have
clearance
problems on the fronts. I am now running 235/75s on the 15x7s with no
clearance
problems on the fronts or backs.

Bob. Southern Ontario, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC Sport, FR, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto.