New member, new Dak!!! (and transmission oil question)

From: Ian Pennington (honkyburger@linkwave.com)
Date: Fri Jan 28 2000 - 21:38:03 EST

I'm a new DML member and I just got a 2000 RC, 4x4, 5-speed, 4.7, 3.92,
Sport+ Dak a few days ago and I love it! For a 4x4, I'm surprised at how
peppy this little truck is, I drove a 4 & 6 cyl. before I ordered my truck
but they didn't have any 8's on the lot (I wonder why :). Now I understand
why you guys are so fanatical about your Dak's (I've been reading the
archives). For anyone who's waiting for their Dak to arrive, I ordered mine
Dec. 9 and it came in on Jan. 26 so it really didn't take that long,
especially when you consider that the plant shuts down for a week during
X-mas. Made it just in time for the ice storm here in the Dallas area so I
got to try out the 4x4.

After everything gets broken in I want to change the diff and transmission
oil to synthetic, probably Mobil 1. The manual says the two diff's take
75-90 oil but the manual tranny needs Mopar oil and they don't give a
weight. I have a Haynes manual for a 97 Ram with the same 5-speed and it
too says 75-90 for the diffs but Mopar oil for the NV3500. Does anyone know
if you can use 75-90 for the tranny, or is there something different about
the Mopar stuff? Every 5-speed I've ever owned took regular gear oil for
the tranny. I know this question probably sounds anal but I don't want to
mess up my purty new Dak.

Thanks

Mike Pennington
HonkyBurger@linkwave.com