Laughing gas legends (was back in black)

From: Robert Cash (rcash@tbcnet.com)
Date: Sun Jan 30 2000 - 15:52:38 EST

Thought I'd throw my two cents in on the notorious nitrous. Sorry to ring
in late in the thread, but there are a few items I'd like to share
concerning this stuff.

1) Nitrous by itself is not flammable:
   N20 will only accelerate combustion under a tremendous amount of heat and
pressure, forcing the release of the oxygen molecule.. In this environment,
if there is ANYTHING capable of being oxidized, believe me, it will do it.
At ambient temps with no pressure, if the tank blows the burst disk and you
are near it, it will likely only hurt your ears from the noise, and you'll
be silly for a few minutes from the gas.

2) Sanely designed nitrous setups do not impose a huge amount of extra wear
on a well running and maintained engine:
   You can believe that your cylinder pressures are going to really shoot
up, (that is after all what the idea of putting something like this into
operation right?).. and while there will be extra stress on the entire
driveline while flowing, take into consideration this wear only occurs while
"on the button". Most people think the base kit is all you need to do when
running nitrous, and it just is not. Of all items to know about nitrous,
one is the most imperative:

3) Rock solid fuel pressure regulation is the key to running a safe nitrous
setup:
   Gotta keep the gasoline side of the nitrous setup solid and dependable.
This means (in my book) a second high flow rotor style fuel pump with a
bypass regulator that returns the extra fuel back to the tank. This setup
keeps the gas cool in the lines, and a bypass regulator reacts almost
instantly to delivery changes (like when you need to educate that pesky
Sonoma) and hit the button. No pressure drops just solid fuel delivery,
safely rich in this case, and your engine will love it. Just for safe
measure, I had a very good fuel pressure gauge on that circuit and it was
the most important gauge to me when competing

I ran this very setup in Modified Truck and Jeep bog, drove it there,
spanked em, drove her home. I did that while I was driving the beast to work
and back, and put 30000 miles on the Jeep in the process.

Unlike other forced induction options (supercharger or turbo), the effect of
flowing nitrous does not add heat to the intake charge, in fact is super
cools it.

One final item, having the bottle in your passenger compartment is
potentially dangerous for one reason only, if the burst disk does not
release a dangerous over pressure, you could get into serious trouble. If
you compromise the bottle like that, ouch. I'd rather run through hell with
gasoline underwear on. That is why, if you choose to do this, get a bottle
that is lined inside (takes care of the corrosion problem, and have the
bottle tested once a year at least by a competent welding supply shop, or
have the bottle x-rayed at a scuba dive shop.

This stuff can be a huge whop in the pants ride, and if you get your install
right with these basics, you wont kill your engine like so many other folks
say, you will just send your competition's ego straight to the vertical
file.

Did I mention that when I rebuilt my engine at 103000 that my crank only
needed to be polished not turned? I had NO ADVERSE WEAR WHATSOEVER on this
engine!

Have fun and go get those cheveys......

Bob Cash
Dekalb, Illinois
98 SLT 4X4 LSD 5.2L
00 Sport 4X4 Club Cab 4.7L "almost hemi"