Gasket sor RTV???

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Sun Jan 30 2000 - 22:52:37 EST

Well the pitman arm saga is over, and now it is time for the diff
covers/diff fluid change episode. It is time to change out the old Amsoil
for some fresh Amsoil, and this time I want to pull the diff covers to get
100% of the fluid out; something fluid pumps cannot do. I have found diff
cover gaskets for both the front and rear diff covers for my Dakota. Local
parts guy did some research for me and found a 7.25 Chrysler diff cover
gasket and a Chrysler 8.25 diff cover gasket. Of course now, they are
'meant' for Dakotas, but I am hoping they will fit. I would like to know
however before I order them, should even order them???? I am just thinking
RTV is thicker and just seems to be a better 'sealer' for the front and rear
diff covers. A tube of Permatex Ultra Black is like $5, and I figure I wont
need more than one tube for both the front and rear diff covers. The two
gaskets will run me $7.50. I figure though that the stock RTV has lasted
117,000 miles, and since it held up that good for that long, RTV might be
the way to go. Any ideas? Thanks for any and all input.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6