Re: Re[5]: Remote Start Key question

From: fdedip@whale-mail.com
Date: Mon Jan 31 2000 - 10:20:06 EST

Oh, I don't think it would damage the ignition- that would be a
rather unpleasant anti-theft device. I was just thinking it might
refuse to start until the computer was cleared.
There would be no reason to use bulky equipment in that type of
application- a small microchip could easily contain the info needed.
All it's supposed to be is a code so the vehicles electronic system
can recognize it. It would be annoying to the driver to have to haul
around a huge honkin' key. The microchips used for pet ID cost about
$25 retail- we're not talking super expensive technology here. The
size of the chip in that application is driven mostly by the size of
the little bitty transmitter-no need for it to be bigger, since it's
a weak and passive signal. When used on cats and dogs, it is
injected under the skin between the shoulderblades- they have very
few nerves there, and there's enough space there on most critters to
implant a small laptop.
Anyway, it's a similar need- just a short code that in the pet ID app
is read by a handheld scanner, on a vehicle the electronics/computer
could handle it.
However, I'm not saying my Dakota definitely has this- just that the
owners manual says it does, so I assumed that it did. And I am sure
that my dealer was NOT lying when they told me it did (as someone
suggested he was), even if it doesn't. The dealer would have had no
reason to lie, as I had already bought the truck. He could have been
mistaken.
Flip