Re: Changed plugs today....

From: Richard A Pyburn (rap777@juno.com)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2000 - 08:30:02 EST

Chris:

A typical spark plug socket wrench should be just fine; it always has
been for me. Take the heat shields out first, blow away any dust that may
have gotten in there and then take out the plugs. It's much easier to
re-install the plugs if the heat shields are off and it's also easier to
clean out any debris around the plugs. If this is the first time you are
removing the plugs, you may find that they are torqued PFT.

While the truck plugs were pretty popular on the list last spring, they
fell out of favor with a lot of the DML the day after I installed them. I
kept them in for a few months to see what the deal was and found that I
lost two MPG with new, properly gapped plugs a new brass distributor cap
and rotor! Out they came and in went Autolites. Jury's still out on them.
Jon Smith got some real good dyno numbers with them but I wonder if his
MSD helped that. So far the stock plugs have been the best for me, but
surely there's something better out there.

Anyhow, when you put the heat shields back in be sure to have the slit
facing the hood to let the heat escape and if you have headers, check the
plug wires. They have a tendency to droop a little and you sure don't
want to burn them on the headers.

HTH,

Richard in San Antonio

On Mon, 31 Jan 2000 21:04:40 -0600 "Chris Reck" <roadkill@mediaone.net>
writes:
> I'm planning on changing my plugs this week with the Champion Truck
> Plugs
> and was wondering if I need to get any special extenders for the
> socket
> wrench. If so, what is the best tools to use to get them out
> (besides the
> socket and the wrench :-)
>
> Will I need a several-inch extender so I can get them out? Any
> helpful
> suggestions will be greatly appreciated by me and my nuckles!
>
> Chris
> '99 Dakota Sport + CC 4x4 Amethyst 3.9L
>

> -

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!