RE: Re: Tires

From: Robert Cash (rcash@tbcnet.com)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2000 - 10:02:33 EST

Hi Heather,
 you know, when I installed a locker in my Jeep many moons ago, I found that
my Jeep could go just about darn near anywhere in 2x4, don't let that
concern ya. Zero base sand aside, having both the rears locked up will get
you just about anywhere sane you care to go, will cause the truck to
understeer a bit on hard pavement however. And the 4banger comment.....
Horsepower is not good for much anything offroad except for slammin through
a big mudhole or recovering your buddy, and many times, if you are treading
lightly, you do not need it. What you need offroad is torque, and that
little 4jug has enough, I am sure of it. Again, if you go extreme offroad,
rock crawling etc, that would be out, but, if it is a camp outing and you
are hitting a class one or two trail, no problem! I am not trying to swear
you off of a V8 purchase but remember that the most capable of our legacy
offroaders, the venerable M38a1 or M151 military Jeep had a whopping 68
horsepower, but had enough torque to shame a mountain goat.

kind regards,
Bob Cash
Dekalb, Illinois
00 4X4 CC 4.7