Re: Joe's nitrous troubles (Was: Laughing gas legends (was back inblack))

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2000 - 11:49:15 EST

On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, Joe W. wrote:

> Wet. That is a good possibility. But my concern is where did the ignition
> source come from? The engine was up around 5 grand when it happened and I've

  Hmmm, you've got me there. It doesn't seem as if the manifold itself
would get hot enough to ignite puddled fuel or vapors. The only thing I
can think of is could the intake valve be opening before the combustion
has completely finished, perhaps sending some of the flame back up
into the intake manifold to ignite the fuel?

> been running this stuff for over a year now. The only time I've had problems
> before is when I do something stupid like leave the juice on during a
> burnout. It's never happened with the engine under load or at high rpm
> before.
> I haven't been paying attention lately can you use the A/C with the mp1
> manifold? No way I'm giving up my A/C in a black truck. hehe

   Yep. I wasn't willing to get rid of the A/C on my black truck
either. :-) The problem is that the t-stat housing on the MPI wants
to occupy the same location as the A/C compressor. What most folks have
done (including myself) is to simply grind a corner off of their A/C
compressor. Some folks are also looking into using a plate to mount
the A/C compressor off to the side a bit, which may also do the trick.

                                              -Jon-

  .--- jon@dakota-truck.net -- or -- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu ------------.
  | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 |
  `---------------------------- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---'