RE: Ping Information

From: michael crotty (michael.crotty@m.cc.utah.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2000 - 15:25:03 EST

Mike Schwall wrote:
>Just to clarify my knowledge of the pinging problem, for those who have a
>pinging problem, when do you hear the ping? Is it normal driving,
>pinging
>constantly no matter what gear your in? Normal driving, pinging only at
>the shifts? Hauling, pinging constantly no matter what gear? Hauling,
>pinging only at the shifts? Or a combination of?

Mine's constant, not just at shifts. It has to be at lower rpm, under
load. If i lay off the throttle it stops, if I go over 3000 rpm it stops.
If it's wet out or I gain altitude it improves. Doesn't matter which gear.
It pings when the engine is cold, and when it's warm. 91 octane + a bottle
of octane boost doesn't stop it, although it seems to be quieter.

It sounds kinda like a diesel engine, but isn't as loud as detonation in
my friend's toyota. As I've said before I'm not 100% sure it's detonation
or preignition. It probably is but I'm not sure. It also idles kinda
rough, so I'm looking into ways to improve that too. I re-routed, but am
thinking some real plug wires may be necessary. I know headers will fix
it, but I'm going to hold out for a while befoer I try that.

mike

michael.crotty@m.cc.utah.edu